Program Format & Content
The Student Success Institute (SSI) for Provosts will create a cohort of up to 25 provosts at AASCU member institutions, providing the most current and relevant expertise on promising practices in both student success and institutional transformation. Throughout the program, fellows will have the opportunity to build a strong and supportive network of peers, learn from leading experts in the field, and develop a cadre of critical skills necessary for leading institutional change. A key component of the program is the opportunity to reflect on one’s own practice, sometimes alone and sometimes in a small group of peers.
The inaugural class of SSI will be called the “Design Cohort” to signal that it will encompass a rich and substantive experience while providing fellows the opportunity to give formative feedback about the initial program design and their experience. Programming for the Design Cohort will take place virtually over eight months, with onboarding beginning in December 2020 and a closing session in July 2021.
The cost of participation for the first year of the program will be fully subsidized by grant funding provided by Ascendium Education Group. There will be no program fee charged to fellows of the Design Cohort.
Program Features and Benefits
The Student Success Institute (SSI) for Provosts is designed for provosts with more than two years of experience in the role at AASCU member institutions. To ensure maximum relevance to fellows, program format and content has been and will continue to be heavily informed by the experiences and feedback of provosts.
Throughout the program, fellows will:
- Learn from leading experts in the field. Program speakers will include sitting presidents and experienced provosts, as well as national experts in areas such as leadership, student success, data utilization, and faculty professional development.
- Develop critical skills necessary for leading institutional change. Fellows will learn about and practice skills such as adaptive leadership, institutional assessment, team building, and a variety of other key leadership skills.
- Build a strong and supportive network of peers. Throughout the program, there will be opportunities for fellows to work together, typically in small groups or in one-to-one settings, developing a group of trusted colleagues who can be called upon after the program is over.
- Have opportunities for reflection. Through guided discussions, short reflection papers, small group discussions, and other activities, fellows will engage in thoughtful reflection about their own assumptions and practices.
Program Format and Calendar
To be respectful, flexible, and responsive to on-campus demands in these particularly challenging times, the Design Cohort of SSI will be a fully virtual experience. Program dates are listed below. A downloadable program calendar is available here.
Cohort onboarding: December 16 or December 17, 2020. We will offer two opportunities in December for accepted fellows to attend an onboarding session.
All sessions will be held from 2:00PM - 5:00PM EST.
- Session 1: January 14, 15, and 21
- Session 2: March 11, 12, and 18
- Session 3: May 13, 14, and 20
- Session 4: July 15, 16, and 22
In between intensive virtual sessions, fellows will engage in an array of additional support activities, including webinars, group discussions, individual calls, and other forms of interaction.
Additional Information and FAQ
- What is the cost of participation?The cost of participation for the Design Cohort will be fully subsidized by grant funding provided by Ascendium Education Group. There will be no program fee charged to fellows of the Design Cohort.
- I'm not sure I can fully commit to the program dates. Should I apply? What is the cancellation policy? One of the primary goals of this program is to create a lasting and supportive community of provosts committed to advancing student success. Full participation in and in-between sessions will contribute to the development of this robust community. If you have concerns about your capacity to fully commit to the experience, please contact Tiffany Yoon, strategic operations manager at Sova, at email@example.com to discuss your concerns. Cancellations after the program begins will be managed on a case-by-case basis. There is no cancellation fee for the Design Cohort.
- I have other questions. Who can I reach out to? Please contact Tiffany Yoon, strategic operations manager at Sova, firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any additional questions or concerns.
How to Apply
The Design Cohort will be composed of up to 25 provosts at AASCU member institutions with a demonstrated commitment to student success (as evidenced in their application form). AASCU is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. As such, the Design Cohort will represent a cross section of AASCU’s membership in regards to both individual demographic characteristics and institution type.
Applications for the Design Cohort have now closed. Current applicants will be notified of next steps by November 19, 2020.
Applications for Cohort 2 will open in Q1 2021. For general inquiries about the program or to indicate your interest in applying for Cohort 2, please fill out the inquiry form.